This intake kit retains the RAM air system on the RC8 by sealing the lower airbox to the bottom of the fuel tank, effectively creating a larger plenum and adding a much larger foam filter element.
Used and endorsed by Factory KTM HMC racing's Chris Fillmore, Ty Howard and many other RC8 professional racers, the Rottweiler Intake System for the RC8 is absolutely unbeatable in terms of shear horsepower gains. On all models, you can also expect a 6 lb (3.6 kg) weight savings with the removal of the SAS and Evap canisters systems using the SAS Stage 1-3 systems. That's almost another horsepower in weight savings alone. The RC8 Intake System retains the use of the Ram Air stock system on the RC8.
Benefits of the Rottweiler Intake System:
- The most cost effective horsepower gains on the market. About $30 to $40 (US) per HP vs $100 to $200 for an aftermarket exhaust.
- Dramatically reduces the jerky 'on-off' throttle response of the big twin. Mountain roads and tight traffic become a joy again.
- Full tri layer foam element on all sides of the filter including the top, not just one side, aiding in air velocity optimization and overall filter surface area.
- The outer layers of foam provide optimum filtration and load-up capacity while the inner layer is made of special self-extinguishing filter foam. Together, they give the best combination for air flow, engine protection and safety. New V3.0 baseplate machined from billet 6061 T6 for ultra rigidity, pocketed for lightweight and then thermo-coated to reflect rising engine temperature.
- No tools needed to change or remove the filter. Removed in seconds.
- Weight reduction of 1.6kg (3.5lbs) just by replacing the stock airbox with the Rottweiler Intake.
- Removal of the stock airbox frees up an enormous amount of space in the front of the filter than can be used for accessory storage like HID ballasts, ignition controllers and such that were previously difficult to package.
- Serviceability of the throttle bodies becomes drastically less difficult to get to.
- High quality lifetime Buna N 'X' rings seal off the throttle bodies in 4 places.
- Adds a wicked sound that while docile at cruising speeds, barks with authority when cracked open.
- All necessary hardware included.
Suggestions upon installation:
- It is advised but not mandatory to remove the emissions hardware when installing a Rottweiler Intake System. The part where the Secondary Air Injection (SAS or SAI) attaches to the stock air-box is removed with this installation and if the installer wants to keep the SAS/SAI on the bike (rare), you will need to attach a small filter to the leftover hose.
- Many of our customers that purchase the RC8 kit use them for racing at tracks that have different rules regarding 'Catch Cans'. These are devices on the motorcycle that are designed to catch any overflowing fluids that may come from the bike such as coolant or crankcase breathers 'burping' oil. For this reason, we have left the method of ventilating the crankcase up to the customer which can be very simple. Much like with the SAS system (mentioned above), the addition of this kit removes where the breather line enters the stock airbox. This is a good thing, as the RAM air effect of the stock air-box actually pressurizes the crankcase which is a bad thing. A zero to negative 5 lbs of mercury is best on a stock engine. Some RC8s have a good catch can in the rear of the tail that do a great job of this and all you need to do is run the other line out of that can to a safe spot if any oil residue mists out. Some of the RC8s do not have this and we recommend that the breather line from the rear valve cover be routed to an aftermarket catch can or again, somewhere safe if any unwanted oil comes out. The is typical when wheelies are performed.
Notes, suggestions and precautions:
The Rottweiler Intake Systems for the RC8 will need some sort of catch can fitted up to the crankcase breather from the rear cylinder head. All other models have the breather line routed inside. Since the RC8 produces much higher RPMs the crankcase tends to blow more oil on that model only. We have left this option up to the customer because many people track their RC8s and many tracks have different rules regarding catching liquids. Another option is to use a 1/2" K&N mini breather and route a long 1/2" ID hose up high.
These do not come pre-oiled for shipping purposes. We recommend No Toil Oiling kits for both our intake filters and pre filters.
This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California known to cause Cancer or birth defects and reproductive harm. For more information go to: https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65